Attendance of Personnel of the Philippine Ports Authority to the Graduate Programs of the World Maritime University for the Academic year 2015
The Philippine Ports Authority with its vision to be globally competitive in port services in the Philippines characterized by increased productivity, efficiency, connectivity, comfort, safety, security and environmental sustainability is highly committed to invest in its people thru academic cooperation as among its interventions.
Through this intervention, the Philippine Ports Authority will be able to respond directly to the needs of the maritime industry equipping qualified personnel to acquire the necessary skills and attitude to be future ports experts.
PPA and the World Maritime University forged in July 2013 a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on Academic Cooperation in the delivery of a WMU Master of Science in Maritime Affairs, a regular 14-month program. The MOU became effective onJuly16, 2013 with a term of five (5) years and extension or amendments maybe made as agreed by both parties.
Among the academic programs offered by WMU is the MSc in Maritime Affairs which is designed to respond directly to the real needs of the maritime industry, both today and in planning for the future. The programme is both academically challenging and professionally oriented and is designed for ambitious, mid-career maritime professionals.
The MSc program offers various specifications which is a standard 14-month program running from September until November of the following year. All graduates of MSc are:
- Equipped with the knowledge and skills to enable them to fulfil successfully their national and international responsibilities for effective maritime development
- Fully aware of maritime operations in general, as well as of their chosen specialization
- Sensitive to the general objectives of the United Nations and the particular aims of the International Maritime Organization (IMO)
- Sufficiently flexible to adapt to a variety of roles in the maritime field environment
- Fluent in English Language, and able to communicate skilfully
- Skilled in the problem solving, critical analysis and independent endeavour
As part of the 14-month program of the MSc in maritime Affairs are fields of specialization as follows;
(a) Marine Environmental and Ocean Management
(b) Maritime Education and Training
(c) Maritime Law and Policy
(d) Maritime Safety and Environmental Administration
(e) Port Management
(f) Shipping Management and Logistics
PPA started sending scholars only this Academic Year 2015 to attend the MSc in Maritime Affairs, Port Management (field of specialization) in World Maritime University, Malmo, Sweden.